My recent thrift – Vintage brass walnut sewing kit

This incredible little brass walnut is one of my most prized possessions as of late and I found it in a grab bag for $3.99 when we went to Value Village back in April. James was pointing out something to me and I just happened to see the texture of the brass in a bag full of watches, bangles and brooches on the bottom rack, completely out of place. I actually gasped out loud when I saw it. I fiddled with it and was able to open it while still inside the bag. I was so amazed and was literally ooing and ahhing.

It’s a little vintage sewing kit with a thimble, a needle, two straight pins and to safety pins tucked inside with a green wool lining. I snatched up the bag of junk as fast as I could just for this sweet little trinket.

Upon further research I found that this particular walnut sewing kit is similar to a common piece made by costume jewelry designer Ernest Steiner in the 1940′s. I am quite positive this is a knock off from the same period because I can’t seem to find a makers mark anywhere on the shell. It is still a lovely little vintage piece and a somewhat rare find, not all that valuable monetarily, but it means the world to me and is now one of my most treasured collectibles. I often find myself simply gazing at it in awe and admiration. I love sweet little trinkets like this.

I can’t wait to rummage through yard sales this summer to see what other little treasures I find. I love the stories behind amazing little things like this and just can’t get enough. Isn’t it incredible that it is possibly 70 years old and still in working condition? Incredible.

Do you have any thrifting finds that you simply cannot get enough of?

11 Responses to “My recent thrift – Vintage brass walnut sewing kit”

1. Anonymous says:

Love the new blog!

2. Megan says:

You found the golden snitch of the sewing world! That is such a neat little case. I've never seen anything like it! Good eye.

3. Shira says:

So awesome! That is super cute – I love thrifting too and have many finds from over the years. I've got a vintage leather clutch (with a gold handle in grey) that gets compliments like crazy – $3.99! It's awesome! Happy Thrifting Hillery!

• Oh Shira, that bag sounds lovely. I used to collect Whiting and Davis mesh metal bags and clutches that I would find for rock bottom prices at thrift stores and yard sales. Folks would always find them interesting and they could keep little ones occupied for hours.
      Thrifting is truly my favorite hobby, it's like visiting museums and getting to take the exhibit home with you, I could spend all day find one little treasure and still be satisfied with my day.
      Happy thrifting to you too! Also I'd love to see a photo of said bag, so intrigued!

4. I just love beautiful, seemingly whimsical things that have a practical use. What a find! I think it's absolutely lovely. :-)

5. Meghan says:

This is an extra special find. I love your description of thrifting as a day out as a museum where you take the exhibit home with you. Perfect.

6. [...] we got here: I found these little plastic bangles in the grab bag that my amazing brass walnut came in. They were pretty uncomfortable and just kind of messy looking so I took a few and turned [...]

7. Sheri Bowers says:

I too have that same one as well as another in white. I treasured find for sure.

8. Rebecca Sousa says:

Wow!!! I have the same exact one!!! It was my mothers and I have treasured it all my life!!! My moms was red inside. So wonderful to see yours on here!

• Hillery says:

That’s awesome Rebecca! These little beauties are a fantastic find. I hope to come across another one some day so I can give one to my niece. They would make the most perfect “child’s first sewing kit” doncha think?